January 31, 2015

Yikes! Manual Mode....

Since I did my Project 365 photo early in the day, I had some time to just play with the camera. I decided it was time to put my toes in the water & try Manual Mode. I mostly shoot on Aperture priority - which is a step up from Auto. I want to learn how to control Shutter, Aperture, Exposure, etc. to make the concept of the photo that is in my mind begin to match what I see when I take the picture.

I won't fool you... there were some photos that were way too dark and some that were so light they were completely blown out. I really struggle with the how the shutter numbers I see in the viewfinder translate to what will show up when I hear the "click" and have taken the picture. Then, I remembered something I had read in a post on Click it up a Notch blog about the light meter that I see in the viewfinder. When I stopped worrying so much about the shutter number and worked with the light meter I had much better results. It was a good moment. Here's a link to that post.. Click it up a Notch - How to Shoot in Manual Mode.

I also learned a little bit more about Lightroom & worked with exposure and some presets. I still have a very log way to go with Manual Mode & Lightroom, but everyday is progress.  I'm happy with the results.

These are a couple from today. Let me know what you think!!



No comments:

Post a Comment