September 13, 2015

One of those moments...

As I'm trying to focus on staying in the here & now, not worrying about the future or reliving the past, I try to appreciate things in the moment. I had one of those moments recently courtesy of a hose, a Bird of Paradise flower and a hummingbird.


I was out watering the newly planted Plumerias early in the morning. One Plumeria is down the hill, beyond the Bird of Paradise bed. Water drops from the arc of the hose spray fell into this Bird of Paradise, creating a tiny bird bath. A hummingbird found it to be a great place! He drank some, then started taking a bath. Flipping minute drops from his beak onto his back, he then ruffled his feathers & shook out the water. It was so much fun watching him preen. He kept it up for probably four minutes. I couldn't stop smiling.

And of course, I couldn't stop watering in that area. That tiny bird, one of the smallest of God's creatures, was taking advantage of the water I was sending down the hill. It has been very hot & dry here, and I think he found a bit of paradise in an early morning bath with fresh water.

I didn't want to stop to try to get the camera to catch him at his bath. I know he would have flown away once the water spray stopped. I would have ruined the moment to just stop and enjoy it if I tried to capture it. So I shot this photo of the Bird of Paradise to always remind me to stop and enjoy the moment!

Needless to say, the Plumeria below was well watered and I had a great start to my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment